Most-Read Feedback Articles (Last 365 Days)
- 2017-07-01 - The Luxman's League
- 2017-05-01 - A Paradigm Active/40 Owner on Active Speakers
- 2017-04-15 - Here's What Happened to the Devialet Gold Phantom
- 2017-04-17 - MQA: Smoke and Mirrors?
- 2017-04-23 - MQA: The Emperor's New Clothes?
- 2017-04-29 - Ayre's Laid-Back Sound
- 2017-04-16 - KEF Praise, Devialet Question
- 2017-07-30 - PrimaLuna, Devialet, Hegel Music Systems, NAD -- Integrated Amp Shootout
- 2017-06-09 - He Says Ken Is Correct!
- 2018-01-04 - Legacy Signature SE Up Against the Magico A3
- Category: Reader Feedback Reader Feedback
- Created: 30 April 2011 30 April 2011
To Randall Smith,
I read a review you wrote on the B&W 684 speakers recently. What caught my eye were your review components. I have the B&W 803S speakers and I use the Krell S300i integrated to power them. I might make some changes in the future and was wondering how you like the Classé Delta CA-2200 or Simaudio i5.3? Thanks in advance for the response.
I recently had the Krell S300i in my system powering a pair of two-way Vivid V1.5 speakers and really liked it. While the little integrated amp isn't a real reference component, the user interface and overall sound made it a pleasure to own and have in my system. As far as how the Classé or Simaudio may better the S300i, I would say that the Classé would demonstrate more control over your B&Ws and also provide more push in the bass. It would also give your system more headroom. As for the Simaudio, it will give you greater transparency and a wider, more detailed soundstage. But, you will pay more to achieve the greater fidelity -- the i 5.3 sells for $4299, while the S300i is $2500. However, I also believe the user interface of the S300i to be more enjoyable to use than that of the i5.3, so that swings things again in the other direction. . . . Randall Smith