Most-Read Feedback Articles (Last 365 Days)
- 2016-11-01 - Hegel H360 vs. Devialet 120 or 200?
- 2016-10-27 - Vivid Giya G3 vs. Vivid B1 Decade vs. KEF Blade Two
- 2017-01-15 - Luxman L-550AX -- the Little Amp that Probably Can
- 2016-10-26 - B&O BeoLab 90 Video and Review
- 2017-05-01 - A Paradigm Active/40 Owner on Active Speakers
- 2017-07-01 - The Luxman's League
- 2017-04-15 - Here's What Happened to the Devialet Gold Phantom
- 2017-01-24 - Sonus Faber Olympica III vs. PSB Imagine T3
- 2016-12-03 - New Bryston DAC vs. Old
- 2016-11-02 - Bryston Mini A and Mini T
- Category: Reader Feedback Reader Feedback
- Created: 27 October 2011 27 October 2011
To Doug Schneider,
I’m considering the purchase of a digital converter such as the dCS Debussy to be connected directly to a new power amplifier (I was thinking about a pair of Simaudio Moon 400Ms or the Parasound JC1s). The sources are my PC (USB out) and my CD transport (XLR digital output). I was then very interested in reading your review about the Devialet D-Premier amplifier/DAC and my question is basically this: In your experience, can the Devialet D-Premier perform better than the pairing above mentioned? Or, for instance, better than the combo of Simaudio Moon Evolution 650D DAC and Simaudio Moon 400Ms? I have a Placette Audio RVC attenuator to adjust the volume.
I hope to receive your comments.
If you’re wondering if it’s possible that the Devialet D-Premier outperforms the combinations you mentioned or any others like them, the answer is yes. The D-Premier and my Revel Ultima Salon2s (my Sony laptop was the source) delivered the best sound ever in my room. That pairing was also the highest-resolution system I’d ever heard anywhere -- I could hear things in my CDs that I had no clue were even there.
I'm assuming from your questions and the kind of equipment you're looking at that you're trying to set up a system with the simplest path for the purist sound. That's the kind of system I like as well, and it doesn't get much simpler than a D-Premier-based setup. I believe that has a lot to do with the high resolution I was hearing. But does the Devialet outperform all the combinations you mentioned? I don’t know. Unfortunately, I don’t have the Debussy DAC, although I know it’s supposed to be outstanding. I have the 650D in for review right now, but the 400Ms have long been returned to Simaudio. Besides, I don’t have the attenuator you mentioned. As a result, I can’t know for sure how any of that will work, so I can't really answer the questions you present. Sorry I can’t be of more help than that. . . . Doug Schneider