Most-Read Feedback Articles (Last 365 Days)
- 2017-05-01 - A Paradigm Active/40 Owner on Active Speakers
- 2017-07-01 - The Luxman's League
- 2017-01-24 - Sonus Faber Olympica III vs. PSB Imagine T3
- 2017-04-15 - Here's What Happened to the Devialet Gold Phantom
- 2017-04-17 - MQA: Smoke and Mirrors?
- 2017-04-29 - Ayre's Laid-Back Sound
- 2017-04-23 - MQA: The Emperor's New Clothes?
- 2017-04-16 - KEF Praise, Devialet Question
- 2017-02-18 - Amp Choices for KEF Reference 1s
- 2017-03-10 - New Amp for Focal Sopra No2s -- Or Maybe Not
- Category: Reader Feedback Reader Feedback
- Created: 07 June 2012 07 June 2012
To Aron Garrecht,
I enjoyed your review of the Monitor Audio Gold GX300 speakers. I currently have a pair of Axiom M80s. I had a chance to hear them in an audio/video shop and like them, but at $5500 a pair I am wondering how much better they are than the M80s.
Thank you for your feedback. I have not listened to the Axiom M80s for quite some time. In fact, if memory serves, the last version I heard was the M80 v2, so please keep this in mind while reading my response. With that said, what I do remember of the M80s was their clean, neutral midrange, and a genuinely forceful bottom end. Stacking the M80s up against the GX300s, I think you will notice a cleaner midrange, improved imaging, a much more refined top end, and less prominent but more accurate bottom end. Whether these improvements are worth a little over $4000 more, only you can answer. What I can tell you is that the GX300s are benchmark speakers with respect to build quality, and that a large portion of that extra cost is directly due to the cost of materials, both in the drivers and the new cabinets. I would recommend seeing if you can get a dealer to let you take a pair home and listen to them side by side with your M80s. . . . Aron Garrecht