Most-Read Feedback Articles (Last 365 Days)
- 2016-09-24 - Amphion's New 3LS Loudspeaker
- 2016-11-01 - Hegel H360 vs. Devialet 120 or 200?
- 2016-09-10 - KEF Reference 201/2 -- Still Recommended?
- 2016-10-27 - Vivid Giya G3 vs. Vivid B1 Decade vs. KEF Blade Two
- 2016-08-26 - Is MQA Going to Go the Way of HDCD?
- 2017-01-15 - Luxman L-550AX -- the Little Amp that Probably Can
- 2016-10-26 - B&O BeoLab 90 Video and Review
- 2017-05-01 - A Paradigm Active/40 Owner on Active Speakers
- 2017-01-24 - Sonus Faber Olympica III vs. PSB Imagine T3
- 2016-11-02 - Bryston Mini A and Mini T
- Category: Reader Feedback Reader Feedback
- Created: 29 July 2013 29 July 2013
To Doug Schneider,
I am writing as a follow-up to an earlier published post titled "DACs: dCS, Esoteric, or . . . ?" In this post I was curious about a possible DAC upgrade and was asking which brand you might recommend. You were particularly positive about the EMM Labs DAC2X and the Meitner MA-1 DACs. I recently had an opportunity to hear the DAC2X as well as the dCS Debussy at a dealer that demonstrated both on a system on par with mine. I wanted you to know that the DAC2X is a very musical product and one that really made the music sound fantastic. I would rank it on a higher plane than the Debussy. In the end, however, I did choose to go with the Esoteric D-02. While the D-02 is significantly more expensive, it is a world-class DAC and probably fits really well with my Esoteric A-02 amp and C-03 preamp and was the main reason I chose it. It should also be the last DAC I will need for a long time. However, for any of the readers considering a DAC, I would agree with your assessment that the DAC2x is one that should be put on a short list. It really is a very outstanding product.
Thanks for all of your suggestions.
Thanks for the update! I think what’s most important is that you got to hear the DAC2X before you bought the D-02, so you made your purchase with all the facts. I also realize that when you add a new component in, there are things to look at outside of just sound -- the fit with your A-02 and C-03 makes sense. . . . Doug Schneider