Most-Read Feedback Articles (Last 365 Days)
- 2016-09-24 - Amphion's New 3LS Loudspeaker
- 2016-11-01 - Hegel H360 vs. Devialet 120 or 200?
- 2016-08-19 - Wharfedale Diamond 225 vs. SVS Prime Bookshelf
- 2016-09-10 - KEF Reference 201/2 -- Still Recommended?
- 2016-10-27 - Vivid Giya G3 vs. Vivid B1 Decade vs. KEF Blade Two
- 2016-08-26 - Is MQA Going to Go the Way of HDCD?
- 2017-01-15 - Luxman L-550AX -- the Little Amp that Probably Can
- 2016-10-26 - B&O BeoLab 90 Video and Review
- 2017-05-01 - A Paradigm Active/40 Owner on Active Speakers
- 2017-01-24 - Sonus Faber Olympica III vs. PSB Imagine T3
- Category: Reader Feedback Reader Feedback
- Created: 28 February 2016 28 February 2016
To Doug Schneider,
I have an Ayre VX-5 Twenty amplifier. In your opinion, is there any other amplifier at or about its price on the used market (ca. $6000 USD) that you would consider better or just different?
There is no question that Ayre Acoustics makes excellent-sounding amplifiers. But are there any you might like better than your VX-5 Twenty? Possibly. You will have to decide that, though. Are there others that are simply different? Definitely. This I can help you with. A number of the brands I’d look to are (in no particular order): Bryston, Anthem, Audio Research, Moon by Simaudio, Blue Circle Audio, Bel Canto Design, Hegel Music Systems, Luxman, JE Audio, McIntosh Labs, Benchmark Media Systems, among many others. It is a big world out there for amps! . . . Doug Schneider