Most-Read Feedback Articles (Last 365 Days)
- 2018-03-07 - Did the Buchardt S400s Show?
- 2018-11-03 - The Best $2500-Per-Pair Stand-Mounted Speaker
- 2018-04-26 - Integrated for Dynaudio Contour 30 Speakers
- 2018-03-04 - The High-Priced Deception?
- 2018-10-24 - CDs Instead of Streaming
- 2018-04-15 - Tannoys Tonally Off
- 2018-03-13 - From KEF LS50s to R500s
- 2018-04-02 - Richard Gray's and Other Power Products
- 2018-02-26 - Bryston Is Second to None!
- 2018-10-02 - Three Questions About the $1575.89 System
- Category: Reader Feedback Reader Feedback
- Created: 10 September 2016 10 September 2016
To Doug Schneider,
I found a brand new pair of KEF Reference 201/2 speakers in black-piano finish for $2200/pair. I know the Reference 1s have replaced these speakers, but these speakers were originally $6000, minimum $5000/pair. In your expert opinion, would you recommend them? My budget doesn’t allow me to pay $7999/pair for the Reference 1s and still afford the proper receiver/amp to power my system.
I definitely do recommend the 201/2! I absolutely loved the pair that I reviewed. For $2200, it sounds like a steal. However, I am glad you’re thinking about an amp. I do want to point out that the 201/2 isn’t very sensitive and it presents a bit of a difficult load for some amps. As a result, forget about a tube amp and go straight for a fairly high-powered solid-state design (at least 100Wpc into 8 ohms) that’s stable into lower impedances (to about 2 ohms). Luckily, the low price for these speakers seems to allow you some flexibility when it comes to choosing an amp, so use the extra money to shop wisely. . . . Doug Schneider