Most-Read Feedback Articles (Last 365 Days)
- 2018-03-07 - Did the Buchardt S400s Show?
- 2018-11-03 - The Best $2500-Per-Pair Stand-Mounted Speaker
- 2018-04-26 - Integrated for Dynaudio Contour 30 Speakers
- 2018-03-04 - The High-Priced Deception?
- 2018-10-24 - CDs Instead of Streaming
- 2018-04-15 - Tannoys Tonally Off
- 2018-03-13 - From KEF LS50s to R500s
- 2018-04-02 - Richard Gray's and Other Power Products
- 2018-02-26 - Bryston Is Second to None!
- 2018-10-02 - Three Questions About the $1575.89 System
- Category: Reader Feedback Reader Feedback
- Created: 22 May 2011 22 May 2011
To Doug Schneider,
I am currently looking for an upgrade to either the Simaudio Moon Evolution 600i or 700i, or to the Devialet D-Premier. I read your reviews and both integrated amps seem to be very well commented on. May I know what you would choose if you were me?
This is a great question. The Devialet D-Premier is more expensive than both Simaudio models you mentioned, but it also contains a DAC. If your plan is to use the D-Premier through its digital inputs, which means you’d feed it a digital signal from a computer or disc server, then I’d recommend it, providing you can afford what it costs. I’ve found no integrated amplifier that’s better when fed a digital source. But if you already have another DAC or disc player and wish to use the digital-to-analog converter in one of those devices and feed the analog signal into the D-Premier, then the answer isn’t so clear. In fact, in that case I’d probably lean more to the Simaudio pieces because they’re priced a little cheaper and are also capable of providing outstanding sound quality. . . . Doug Schneider