Most-Read Feedback Articles (Last 365 Days)
- 2018-03-07 - Did the Buchardt S400s Show?
- 2018-11-03 - The Best $2500-Per-Pair Stand-Mounted Speaker
- 2018-04-26 - Integrated for Dynaudio Contour 30 Speakers
- 2018-03-04 - The High-Priced Deception?
- 2018-10-24 - CDs Instead of Streaming
- 2018-04-15 - Tannoys Tonally Off
- 2018-03-13 - From KEF LS50s to R500s
- 2018-04-02 - Richard Gray's and Other Power Products
- 2018-02-26 - Bryston Is Second to None!
- 2018-10-02 - Three Questions About the $1575.89 System
- Category: Reader Feedback Reader Feedback
- Created: 04 June 2011 04 June 2011
To Doug Schneider,
I read your fantastic review on this innovative product. I was a little confused when you used Ola Gjeilo’s Stone Rose (SACD/CD, 2L 2L48SACD) and described the sound. Does the Devialet play SACD recordings? Or was it using the Red Book CD layer to play the music? I am not aware of many DACs that can play SACD, CD, and high-rez PCM recordings. Thanks.
The Stone Rose disc I use for reviews is a hybrid, meaning that it has SACD and CD layers, which is why the catalog information is displayed that way. What I listened to through the D-Premier was the CD layer of that disc ripped to my Sony laptop and played back using J. River’s Media Center, so its resolution is 16-bit/44.1kHz. As far as I know, the D-Premier won’t play DSD files natively (DSD is the digital music format on an SACD disc), but it will play PCM-based files up to 24-bit/192kHz. What’s interesting to know is this: although Stone Rose is available as a hybrid disc with SACD and CD layers, it was actually recorded in 24-bit/96kHz PCM. That native version of the recording is available on 2L’s site as a download.. . . . Doug Schneider