Most-Read Feedback Articles (Last 365 Days)
- 2017-07-01 - The Luxman's League
- 2018-01-04 - Legacy Signature SE Up Against the Magico A3
- 2017-07-30 - PrimaLuna, Devialet, Hegel Music Systems, NAD -- Integrated Amp Shootout
- 2018-01-01 - Naim and Magico
- 2017-08-28 - Revel Performa3 F206 vs. KEF R500
- 2017-08-10 - To Change for the Better
- 2017-09-01 - Buying the Best -- "Hard Knocks" Learning
- 2017-10-02 - "The MQA Balloon"
- 2017-10-01 - What If MQA Succeeds?
- 2017-10-07 - Some Impressive MQA Testing
- Category: Reader Feedback Reader Feedback
- Created: 30 January 2012 30 January 2012
To Doug Schneider,
A blogger is selling a pair of Von Schweikert VR-1 speakers. I just read your review in SoundStage! from 2003 about them, which was thorough and praised what is obviously a very listenable and accurate speaker. Nevertheless, that was nine years ago that you made that evaluation and many very good monitor-type speakers have come forth since then, both less expensive and more expensive. I gather from your review that this speaker is just not good, but has style and class and even swagger in its musical presentation
I am just curious if you have heard equally good speakers, if not better for the same money, over the last nine years.
Von Schweikert’s VR-1 was a good speaker back then and is still a good speaker today, but I’ve heard speakers as good and quite a bit better since then, a number of them priced far less than the VR-1 originally was priced at in 2003 (about $1000 per pair). Still, the VR-1 is a good bet today if the price is right. I have no idea what this blogger is asking for them, but I think that $300 would be a fair price if the speakers are in really good shape. . . . Doug Schneider