Most-Read Feedback Articles (Last 365 Days)
- 2018-03-07 - Did the Buchardt S400s Show?
- 2018-11-03 - The Best $2500-Per-Pair Stand-Mounted Speaker
- 2018-04-26 - Integrated for Dynaudio Contour 30 Speakers
- 2018-03-04 - The High-Priced Deception?
- 2018-10-24 - CDs Instead of Streaming
- 2018-04-15 - Tannoys Tonally Off
- 2018-03-13 - From KEF LS50s to R500s
- 2018-04-02 - Richard Gray's and Other Power Products
- 2018-02-26 - Bryston Is Second to None!
- 2018-10-02 - Three Questions About the $1575.89 System
- Category: Reader Feedback Reader Feedback
- Created: 30 January 2012 30 January 2012
To Doug Schneider,
A blogger is selling a pair of Von Schweikert VR-1 speakers. I just read your review in SoundStage! from 2003 about them, which was thorough and praised what is obviously a very listenable and accurate speaker. Nevertheless, that was nine years ago that you made that evaluation and many very good monitor-type speakers have come forth since then, both less expensive and more expensive. I gather from your review that this speaker is just not good, but has style and class and even swagger in its musical presentation
I am just curious if you have heard equally good speakers, if not better for the same money, over the last nine years.
Von Schweikert’s VR-1 was a good speaker back then and is still a good speaker today, but I’ve heard speakers as good and quite a bit better since then, a number of them priced far less than the VR-1 originally was priced at in 2003 (about $1000 per pair). Still, the VR-1 is a good bet today if the price is right. I have no idea what this blogger is asking for them, but I think that $300 would be a fair price if the speakers are in really good shape. . . . Doug Schneider