Most-Read Feedback Articles (Last 365 Days)
- 2017-07-01 - The Luxman's League
- 2017-05-01 - A Paradigm Active/40 Owner on Active Speakers
- 2017-04-29 - Ayre's Laid-Back Sound
- 2017-04-23 - MQA: The Emperor's New Clothes?
- 2017-07-30 - PrimaLuna, Devialet, Hegel Music Systems, NAD -- Integrated Amp Shootout
- 2018-01-04 - Legacy Signature SE Up Against the Magico A3
- 2017-06-09 - He Says Ken Is Correct!
- 2017-05-10 - Accolades for Active Speakers
- 2018-01-01 - Naim and Magico
- 2017-08-28 - Revel Performa3 F206 vs. KEF R500
- Category: Reader Feedback Reader Feedback
- Created: 27 October 2012 27 October 2012
To Doug Schneider,
I am researching to replace my PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MKII and ran across some articles about the Calyx Femto. I know you have been around lots of DACs and I wonder whether this would be a hands-down upgrade from my current PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MKII. I have been looking at the Meitner MA-1 as an option as well. Do you know anything about this DAC?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I must start by saying that I’m not that familiar with PS Audio’s current lineup of products. The brand seems popular, but it’s not one I take too serious a look at since I don’t like the way they present or market their products -- too much salesmanship and hype rather than a focus on product performance for my liking. Therefore, I don’t really know what you have or how good it is.
But I do know that the Femto and MA-1 are great and that no one would accuse these companies of presenting hype over substance. The MA-1 retails for $7000, while the Femto is just under that. I reviewed the Femto in September and Uday Reddy reviewed the MA-1 in May. I would have bought the Femto if I could have afforded it, but Uday did buy the MA-1. These are the two DACs that would be at the top of the list if I were shopping in this price range right now. . . . Doug Schneider