Most-Read Feedback Articles (Last 365 Days)
- 2018-03-07 - Did the Buchardt S400s Show?
- 2018-11-03 - The Best $2500-Per-Pair Stand-Mounted Speaker
- 2018-04-26 - Integrated for Dynaudio Contour 30 Speakers
- 2018-03-04 - The High-Priced Deception?
- 2018-10-24 - CDs Instead of Streaming
- 2018-04-15 - Tannoys Tonally Off
- 2018-03-13 - From KEF LS50s to R500s
- 2018-04-02 - Richard Gray's and Other Power Products
- 2018-02-26 - Bryston Is Second to None!
- 2018-10-02 - Three Questions About the $1575.89 System
- Category: Reader Feedback Reader Feedback
- Created: 28 February 2016 28 February 2016
To Doug Schneider,
I have an Ayre VX-5 Twenty amplifier. In your opinion, is there any other amplifier at or about its price on the used market (ca. $6000 USD) that you would consider better or just different?
There is no question that Ayre Acoustics makes excellent-sounding amplifiers. But are there any you might like better than your VX-5 Twenty? Possibly. You will have to decide that, though. Are there others that are simply different? Definitely. This I can help you with. A number of the brands I’d look to are (in no particular order): Bryston, Anthem, Audio Research, Moon by Simaudio, Blue Circle Audio, Bel Canto Design, Hegel Music Systems, Luxman, JE Audio, McIntosh Labs, Benchmark Media Systems, among many others. It is a big world out there for amps! . . . Doug Schneider