Most-Read Feedback Articles (Last 365 Days)
- 2017-07-01 - The Luxman's League
- 2018-01-04 - Legacy Signature SE Up Against the Magico A3
- 2017-07-30 - PrimaLuna, Devialet, Hegel Music Systems, NAD -- Integrated Amp Shootout
- 2018-01-01 - Naim and Magico
- 2017-08-28 - Revel Performa3 F206 vs. KEF R500
- 2017-08-10 - To Change for the Better
- 2017-09-01 - Buying the Best -- "Hard Knocks" Learning
- 2017-10-02 - "The MQA Balloon"
- 2017-10-01 - What If MQA Succeeds?
- 2017-10-07 - Some Impressive MQA Testing
- Category: Reader Feedback Reader Feedback
- Created: 28 February 2016 28 February 2016
To Doug Schneider,
I have an Ayre VX-5 Twenty amplifier. In your opinion, is there any other amplifier at or about its price on the used market (ca. $6000 USD) that you would consider better or just different?
There is no question that Ayre Acoustics makes excellent-sounding amplifiers. But are there any you might like better than your VX-5 Twenty? Possibly. You will have to decide that, though. Are there others that are simply different? Definitely. This I can help you with. A number of the brands I’d look to are (in no particular order): Bryston, Anthem, Audio Research, Moon by Simaudio, Blue Circle Audio, Bel Canto Design, Hegel Music Systems, Luxman, JE Audio, McIntosh Labs, Benchmark Media Systems, among many others. It is a big world out there for amps! . . . Doug Schneider