Most-Read Feedback Articles (Last 365 Days)
- 2018-01-04 - Legacy Signature SE Up Against the Magico A3
- 2018-01-01 - Naim and Magico
- 2018-03-04 - The High-Priced Deception?
- 2017-12-21 - The Validity of Doug's Sonus Faber Olympica III Review
- 2018-04-26 - Integrated for Dynaudio Contour 30 Speakers
- 2017-11-24 - The Whereabouts of the Yamaha NS-5000 Loudspeaker
- 2018-03-07 - Did the Buchardt S400s Show?
- 2017-11-23 - Revel's Salon2 -- Still One of the Best After All These Years?
- 2018-04-15 - Tannoys Tonally Off
- 2018-01-15 - A 24/7 Mohican?
- Category: Reader Feedback Reader Feedback
- Created: 27 October 2011 27 October 2011
To Doug Schneider,
I’m considering the purchase of a digital converter such as the dCS Debussy to be connected directly to a new power amplifier (I was thinking about a pair of Simaudio Moon 400Ms or the Parasound JC1s). The sources are my PC (USB out) and my CD transport (XLR digital output). I was then very interested in reading your review about the Devialet D-Premier amplifier/DAC and my question is basically this: In your experience, can the Devialet D-Premier perform better than the pairing above mentioned? Or, for instance, better than the combo of Simaudio Moon Evolution 650D DAC and Simaudio Moon 400Ms? I have a Placette Audio RVC attenuator to adjust the volume.
I hope to receive your comments.
If you’re wondering if it’s possible that the Devialet D-Premier outperforms the combinations you mentioned or any others like them, the answer is yes. The D-Premier and my Revel Ultima Salon2s (my Sony laptop was the source) delivered the best sound ever in my room. That pairing was also the highest-resolution system I’d ever heard anywhere -- I could hear things in my CDs that I had no clue were even there.
I'm assuming from your questions and the kind of equipment you're looking at that you're trying to set up a system with the simplest path for the purist sound. That's the kind of system I like as well, and it doesn't get much simpler than a D-Premier-based setup. I believe that has a lot to do with the high resolution I was hearing. But does the Devialet outperform all the combinations you mentioned? I don’t know. Unfortunately, I don’t have the Debussy DAC, although I know it’s supposed to be outstanding. I have the 650D in for review right now, but the 400Ms have long been returned to Simaudio. Besides, I don’t have the attenuator you mentioned. As a result, I can’t know for sure how any of that will work, so I can't really answer the questions you present. Sorry I can’t be of more help than that. . . . Doug Schneider